Question for Dental Marketing – Should My Dental Practice Use Groupon to Attract New Patients?
Several dentists have been asking whether they should be doing Groupon and LivingSocial to bring in new patients as part of their dental marketing efforts:
Here are some of the pros and cons to consider:
- Upfront cost is close to zero
- Patients from this special can be scheduled specifically during office downtime or slow periods
- Groupon/Living Social takes 50% of the already discounted offer
- Deep discounts draw the wrong type of patient who will spend the bare minimum and never return
- Fee splitting for dental services is illegal in some states
- Certain treatments, such as Invisalign, do not allow their dentists to discount their offerings via Groupon/Living Social
Based on feedback from other dentists who have tried Groupon and Living Social, the volume of new patients is likely to be low, unless you are in a major urban area.
Groupon/LivingSocial will usually produce patients who are shopping for a deal and will not return for treatment. In our opinion, the ROI will be poor. This type of advertising may still make sense for a start-up office which is looking to get the local community acquainted with their office.
Want to discuss options for marketing your dental practice that are likely to have better returns, talk with an online marketing specialist for dentists today.